Red, white, and blue dreamy vanilla cupcakes! These last-minute treats are such fun to decorate, and you’ll have a batch on your 4th of July table in 15 minutes.
These little beauties require zero baking time – all you’ll need is a batch of cupcakes with vanilla frosting from the store and some red, white, and blue M&Ms, and off you go!
Before you rush out and get them – take note of our gorgeous 4th July celebration ideas; whether you’re planning ahead or the guests are on their way, there’s something for everyone.
I decorated these vanilla cupcakes using red, white, and blue M&Ms I found at my local Fresh Market. I mean, what could be easier or cuter?
If you have a little time to plan, why not scroll through these 23 4th July Party Supply ideas and download these FREE 4th of July Printables – look around; we have a bunch to choose from. Also, how gorgeous is this Patriotic Paper Wreath? Can’t you just see it hanging up on your door?!
Serve these cupcakes alongside these pretty 4th of July cookies if you’re looking for other fun 4th of July desserts (I love a cute patriotic cookie!)
Why You’ll Love These 4th Of July Cupcakes
- Whip them up in a jiffy: no need to buy butter, eggs, or flour. No batter or baking, no mess!
- They’re quick and easy to make: Using store-bought cupcakes, and M&Ms saves time and effort, making these cupcakes a great option for a last-minute treat.
- They’re festive: With their red, white, and blue colors, these cupcakes are a perfect way to celebrate Independence Day. They’re a great addition to any 4th of July party or BBQ.
- They’re customizable: You can adjust the amount and pattern of M&Ms you like or even use different colors to match a different theme or occasion.
- They’re crowd-pleasers: Who doesn’t love cupcakes? These 4th of July-themed cupcakes are sure to be a hit with adults and kids alike.
- They’re affordable: Using store-bought cupcakes and M&Ms is a budget-friendly way to make a delicious and festive treat without breaking the bank.
- They require minimal cleanup: Since you’re not making the cupcakes from scratch, there are fewer dishes and cleanup involved.
- They’re portable: These cupcakes can easily be transported to a picnic or party without worrying about them melting or spilling.
Ingredients and Supplies
- Decorations: You can use a variety of decorations for your cupcakes, such as patriotic sprinkles, candy, or flags. White chocolate chips are a great sub for the white M&Ms.
- Cupcake liners: Red, white, and blue cupcake liners are perfect for 4th of July cupcakes. You can also use metallic or patterned liners for a more festive look.
How To Make Last-Minute 4th Of July Cupcakes
Step 1: Arrange the cupcakes
Place the cupcakes on a serving platter or cupcake stand.
Step 2: Decorate with M&Ms
Take the red, white, and blue M&Ms and sprinkle them on top of the vanilla frosting on each cupcake. You can use as many or as few M&Ms as you’d like.
Once the M&Ms are on the cupcakes, gently press them into the frosting to ensure they stick. You can use a toothpick for this.
Note: If you’re transporting the cupcakes, it’s best to place them in a cupcake carrier or other container with a lid to prevent the M&Ms from falling off.
Tips and Substitutions
- Use different candy or sprinkles: While red, white, and blue M&Ms are a great choice for decorating these cupcakes, you can also use other types of candy or sprinkles in similar colors. Some other ideas include star-shaped sprinkles, candy pearls, or patriotic-themed candies.
- Add additional decorations: If you want to take your cupcakes to the next level, you can add additional decorations, such as flag toothpicks or edible glitter.
- Use different frosting flavors: If you’re not a fan of vanilla frosting, you can use any other frosting flavor you prefer, such as chocolate or cream cheese.
- Make your own cupcakes: While this recipe uses store-bought vanilla frosted cupcakes, you can always make your own cupcakes from scratch if you have more time. Just be sure to let them cool completely before adding the M&Ms or other decorations.
- Use a variety of cupcake liners: Using red, white, and blue cupcake liners can add an extra touch of patriotism to your cupcakes. You can also use metallic or patterned liners for a more festive look.
- Experiment with different toppings: Besides M&Ms or other candy, you can experiment with different toppings such as whipped cream, fresh fruit, or chocolate chips. These toppers are a perfect addition! Dust them with a fresh powdered sugar coating before serving – for a more homemade look.
- Chill before serving: If you’re making these cupcakes in advance, it’s best to chill them in the refrigerator until you’re ready to serve them. This will help the frosting and decorations stay in place. Don’t store them in the freezer, though.
In an airtight container in the refrigerator.
You can’t freeze them once the M&Ms are on them, no.
As a treat or dessert on the 4th of July!
Other 4th of July Posts You’ll Love
- Celebrate with an awesome 4th of July party
- Modern 4th of July shoot
- Farmhouse 4th of July
- 4th of July pallet picnic celebration
- 8 Great 4th July ideas
I hope you LOVE these last-minute cupcakes and the fact that you don’t need to switch on the oven for them!
- 12 ea frosted vanilla cupcakes
- 1 cup red, white and blue M&Ms
- Place the cupcakes on a serving platter or cupcake stand.
- Take the red, white, and blue M&Ms and sprinkle them on top of the vanilla frosting on each cupcake. You can use as many or as few M&Ms as you'd like.
- If you’re transporting the cupcakes, it’s best to place them in a cupcake carrier or other container with a lid to prevent the M&Ms from falling off.
- Chill before serving.
This post may contain affiliate links that won’t change your price but will share some commission. We are participants in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliates.