Ever since Camila met Mary Poppins at Disneyland's King Arthur Carousel, my husband and I knew we were going to watch the movie for at least 100 times, and when the time came to choose a theme for her birthday party, there was never hesitation on what she wanted: a Mary Poppins themed celebration!
I couldn't find a lot of inspiration on the web, so I had to break down the movie's elements and look for penguins, carousels, clouds, umbrellas, kites... pretty much anything that my mind could associate with Mary Poppins!
Some of the details include -
- We had little penguin piñatas made to decorate the dessert table.
- We took a few quotes from the songs and printed them to make cute banners.
- We printed a 1 mt outlined Mary Poppins shadow for the backdrop.
- As you walked in, there was a dress up station, with Mary Poppins hats or penguin masks.
- The kids did a chimney sweep dance during the show!
- DIY Penguin balloons served as centerpieces.
- We bought SUPERCALIFRAGILISTICEXPIALIDOCIOUS letters on amazon.com and hung them together to form the huge banner. This was by far the most expensive detail on the party, but was so worth it!
Below you will find a few helpful links -
Penguin balloon centerpieces idea was from:
Invitation and party templates by:
Prettyplainjanes.com - she's so talented!
This blogpost was useful in the creation of the masks:
What People Ate
Lots and lots of candy!
What People Drank
Mary Poppins Cake, carousel & cloud cupcakes
DIY Kites for the whole fam!
Activities / Games
We had a carousel, kids bungee jumper, arts & crafts, piñata and lots of dancing!